Type of cut: cubes
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 4 hours 30 minutes
Cooking method: roasting
- 1.5 kg (approximately 3 1/3 lb) Quebec Grain-Fed Veal cubes
- 20 ml (4 tsp) meat pie spices
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) diced potatoes
- 1.5 kg (approximately 3 1/3 lb) pie dough
- 500 ml (2 cups) beef broth
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 egg yolk beaten with a splash of water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped garlic (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a bowl, mix the Grain-Fed Veal cubes with the meat pie spices, potatoes, onions, and, if desired, garlic. Set aside in a cool place.
- On a floured surface, compress two thirds of the dough into a circle of 3 mm (1/10 in.) in depth.
Compress the remaining dough into a circle of the same thickness.
- In a casserole or in a thick-bottomed pan, place the large portion of dough and press against the sides of the casserole. Remove the excess dough if necessary.
- Garnish the dough with the veal preparation and add the broth. Cover with the second portion of dough. Remove the excess dough if necessary. Baste the dough with the egg yolk. Make slits in the middle.
- Place the casserole on a cookie sheet to avoid spills during cooking.
- Cover the casserole and bake for 1 hour until the preparation begins to boil.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 175°C (350°F). Continue cooking for 3 hours.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160°C (325°F). Continue cooking for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until the top of the meat pie is golden.
Meat pie spices (homemade version)
Mix 15 ml (1 tbsp) onion flakes with 5 ml (1 tsp) celery salt, 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) ground clove, 5 ml (1 tsp) cinnamon, 5 ml (1 tsp) garlic powder, 5 ml (1 tsp) allspice and 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) ground pepper.
Because baking a meat pie takes so long, consider preparing and baking it in the morning.