Type of cut: steaks and filets
Yield: 4 to 5 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 21 minutes
Cooking method: roasting
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Salt and pepper the Grain-Fed Veal filet.
- In a large oven-proof pan, melt the butter on medium. Sear the filet 4 to 5 minutes on all sides.
- Continue cooking in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 58°C (136°F).
- Remove the filet from the oven and place on a cutting board. Loosely cover with foil.
- In the same pan, cook the French shallots for 1 to 2 minutes on medium.
- Add the cranberries, maple syrup and demi-glace sauce. Stir. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Slice the filet and serve with the sauce.
Peel 6 to 8 potatoes and cut in slices of approximately 3 mm (1/8 in.) thick with a vegetable slicer. Butter a 20 cm (8 in.) square dish and spread the potato slices. In a bowl, mix 500 ml (2 cups) of 15% cooking cream with 125 ml (1/2 cup) of chopped French shallots. Add salt and pepper. Pour the preparation on the potatoes and garnish with 250 ml (1 cup) of grated cheddar cheese. Cover the dish with aluminium foil and cook in the oven for 45 minutes at 190°C (375°F), until the potatoes are tender. Remove the foil and broil for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese is golden.