Type of cut: ground veal
Yield: 4 to 6 portions
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
Cooking method: simmering
- 340 g (3/4 lb) ground Quebec Grain-Fed Veal
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) green onions sliced
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) coriander
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sesame oil
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ginger chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) French shallots chopped
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) sesame oil
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) ginger chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chicken broth
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) hoisin sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) soya sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) rice vinegar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) paprika
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) sambal oelek
- 10 ml (2 tsp) corn starch diluted in 15 ml (1 tbsp) cold water
- Preheat oven to 205°C (400 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the meatballs ingredients. Make meatballs of approximately 30 g (2 tbsp) each.
- Place the meatballs on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Cook in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, turning them halfway, until the meatballs have lost their pink tint.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a saucepan, cook the French shallots in the sesame oil on medium heat for approximately 2 minutes, until they sweat. Add garlic and ginger. Cook for another minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the diluted corn starch. Bring to a boil while stirring. Incorporate the diluted corn starch into the sauce. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until thick.
- Divide the meatballs on the plates. Cover each one of them with 15 to 30 ml (1 to 2 tbsp) of sauce. Garnish with roasted sesame seeds, green onions and coriander if desired.