Type of cut: cutlets
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
Cooking method: stir frying
Quebec Grain-Fed Veal Scaloppinis au gratin
- 4 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal scaloppinis, 90 g (3 oz) each
- Olive oil in sufficient quantity
- 1 L (4 cups) cold water
- 60 g (1/2 jar) concentrated demi-glace sauce
- 156 ml (1 can) tomato paste
- 450 g (1 can) uncooked penne
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Italian spices
- 250 ml (1 cup) cooking cream 35%
- 125 g (1/4 lb) grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- In a frying pan, on high, heat oil.
- When the oil begins to separate, quickly brown the grain-fed veal scaloppinis on both sides. Remove the scaloppinis and set aside.
- Deglaze the frying pan with the cold water and bring to a boil.
- Add the concentrated demi-glace sauce and tomato paste and mix with a whisk until smooth.
- Add penne and stir the pasta in the sauce so that they are covered. Simmer for 6 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add spices and the cream and mix well.
- Place the scaloppinis on the pasta and cover with cheese.
- Cook in the oven uncovered for 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and serve.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chef and training consultant for Quebec Grain-Fed Veal.