Type of cut: steaks and filets
Yield: 20 mini-sandwiches
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
Cooking method: grilling/BBQ
- Preheat barbecue on high.
- Season grain-fed veal filet with the steak spice.
- Sear both sides of the veal filet.
- Finish cooking on upper rack or lower heat of the barbecue.
- Ideal cooking is completed when the inner temperature of the meat reaches 64°C (147°F) or when the meat begins to shrink in volume and when juices rise to the surface.
- Remove filet from heat, cover lightly with aluminium foil and let sit for a few minutes according to the size of the piece of meat. The heat will spread and the centre of the meat should reach 66°C (150°F).
- Allow veal filet to cool and slice or place in refrigerator to cut later.
- Serve in a Berber flatbread with mustard and mayonnaise and top with a slice of cheddar cheese.
- You can make the sandwiches ahead of time and serve them cold or heat them on the barbecue or in the oven until the cheese begins to melt.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chef and training consultant for Quebec Grain-Fed Veal.