Type of cut: pavés, steaks and filets
Yield: 2 servings
Degree of difficulty: average
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
Cooking method: fried
- 4 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal strip loin or tenderloin pavé steaks, 65 g (2 oz) each
- 1 caramel toffee bar (approximately 56 g)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 50 ml (3 tbsp) butter or oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) fleur de sel
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- In a saucepan, on low heat, melt the toffee bar in 60 ml (1/2 cup) of water and simmer.
- In a frying pan, melt the butter and quickly brown the grain-fed veal pavé steaks.
- Place the grain-fed pavé steaks on a dripping pan and finish cooking in the oven until internal temperature reaches 64°C (147°F) or when pavé steaks begin to decrease in size and meat juices appear on the surface.
- Remove from oven, cover lightly with aluminium foil and set aside for a few minutes. The heat will spread and the centre of the meat should reach 66°C (150°F).
- Meanwhile, deglaze the frying pan with the remaining water, put the liquid through a sieve and add to toffee sauce. Stir and reduce to desired consistency.
- Place the pavé steaks on warm plates, cover with toffee sauce and sprinkle with fleur de sel.
- Serve with side dishes of your choice.
Recipe provided by Alain Fortier, chef and training consultant for Quebec Grain-Fed Veal.