Type of cut: roasts
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours
Cooking method: braising
- 800 g to 1 kg (1 3/4 lb to 2 lb) boneless Quebec Grain-Fed Veal shoulder roast
- 1 clove of garlic pressed (optional)
- Mirepoix (onions, celery and carrots coarsely cut)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 250 ml (1 cup) veal stock
- 250 ml (1 cup) demi-glace sauce
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Rub the grain-fed veal roast with garlic.
- Place the mirepoix on the bottom of an ovenproof dish to form a layer.
- Place the grain-fed veal roast on the vegetables and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes uncovered to brown the meat.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring to a boil the liquids that will be used to prepare the sauce.
- Turn meat over, add the sauce, cover and continue cooking for 1 hour 30 minutes more, until the meat gives away easily with pressure or the internal temperature reaches 90°C (195°F).
- Remove the roast from the oven, cover with aluminium foil and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Strain the sauce and let reduce on low heat until desired consistency. (If necessary, thicken the sauce with white roux).
- Serve with vegetables of your choice.