Type of cut: ground veal
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Degree of difficulty: average
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 50 minutes
Cooking method: roasting
- 1 kg (2 lb) ground Quebec Grain-Fed Veal
- Butter in sufficient quantity
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) onions, finely chopped
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground nutmeg
- 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) pepper
- 1 or 2 eggs (according to desired texture)
- Commercial rolled-out pastry
- In a frying pan, melt butter and sauté the onions and the ground grain-fed veal. Add nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking on medium heat until the meat is completely cooked. Do not throw away cooking juices as grain-fed veal is a lean meat and its cooking juices are primarily made of gelatin, which gives a tender texture to the meat.
- Cool the mix in the refrigerator until the internal temperature reaches 3°C (38°F).
- Once the mix is cool, add the egg and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- In a 25 cm (10 in.) pie plate, place a layer of pastry, top with the mix and then place the second layer of pastry.
- Cut out the pastry at 1.2 cm (1/2 in.) from the edge of the plate and fold around the edge.
- Make some incisions on top of the pastry.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack and cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the pastry is golden.