Type of cut: roasts
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours
Cooking method: braising
- 800 g (1 3/4 lb) Quebec Grain-Fed Veal blade roast
- 2 medium onions, coarsely cut
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 250 ml (1 cup) veal stock
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- Slices of toasted bread
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- In an ovenproof dish, ideally enameled cast iron, place the onions.
- Place the grain-fed veal roast on the onions and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes uncovered to brown the meat.
- Turn meat over, add veal stock and water. Cover and continue cooking for 1 hour 30 minutes, until the meat gives away easily with pressure or the internal temperature reaches 90°C (195°F).
- Strain the cooking juices and set aside.
- Coarsely cut the roast and with a fork, shred the meat fibers and put back in the cooking juices. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- With a perforated serving spoon, lightly drain the meat so that the bread does not become soggy. Place the meat on a slice of toasted bread and serve with port jelly, onion or cranberry jam.