Type of cut: steaks and filets
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
Cooking method: grilling/BBQ
- 600 g (1 1/4 lb) Quebec Grain-Fed Veal filet
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) ground coriander
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cardamom
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground pepper
- 1 bunch of cress
- 2 pears, cored and cut in slices
- 1/2 red pepper cut in strips
- 1/2 English cucumber cut in thin slices
Orange salad dressing
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) frozen concentrated orange juice, thawed
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) white wine vinegar
- Salt and ground pepper
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- Preheat barbecue on high.
- In a bowl, mix all spice mix ingredients.
- Coat the grain-fed veal filet with the mix by rubbing it to ensure spices are absorbed.
- Sear both sides of the veal filet.
- Finish cooking on upper rack or lower heat of the barbecue.
- Ideal cooking is completed when the internal temperature of the meat reaches 64°C (147°F) or when the meat begins to shrink in volume and when juices rise to the surface.
- Remove the filet from heat, cover lightly with aluminium foil and let sit for a few minutes according to the size of the piece of meat. The heat will spread and the centre of the meat should reach 66°C (150°F).
- Slice the filet and serve with the cress salad and salad dressing.
Salad dressing preparation
- In a large bowl, combine Dijon mustard, orange juice concentrate, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper and mix with a whisk or fork. Add oil in a thin stream while stirring constantly to emulsify the salad dressing. Set aside.
- Mix all the salad ingredients, drizzle with the salad dressing and serve with the grain-fed veal filet.