Type of cut: medallions
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: chef
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
Cooking method: stir frying
- 4 medallions of Quebec Grain-Fed Veal strip loin
- 65 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) fresh rosemary, chopped
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 250 ml (1 cup) Arborio rice
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) 35% cream
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 Cortland apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Domaine Levasseur maple vinegar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) veal stock or demi-glace sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) maple syrup
- Ground salt and pepper, to taste
- For the risotto, heat oil in heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped shallot, tomatoes and rosemary and sauté until the shallot is translucent. Season with pepper. Add the rice to the pot and stir well until the grains are coated with the melted butter. Add 335 ml of vegetable stock and simmer for about 15 minutes stirring frequently. Once the stock is absorbed, add the cream and 85 ml of stock. Stir well. Continue cooking until all the liquid is absorbed. If the rice is still too firm, add the rest of the stock. Keep warm.
- In a skillet, heat the oil and butter and grill the meat over high heat, 2 minutes on each side. Keep warm.
- In the same skillet, sauté the shallot and apples. Deglaze the skillet with vinegar. Add the veal stock and maple syrup. Simmer and reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper. Place the medallions on the apples and turn twice to reheat them.
- Serve with risotto and oven-grilled zucchini.
Recipe provided by André Loiseau.