Type of cut: chops, steaks and filets
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking method: simmering
- 4 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal chops, 180 g (6 oz) each
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 onions, cut into 5 mm (1/4 in) slices
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 5 mm (1/4 in) slices
- 10 ml (2 tsp) dried thyme
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) pearl barley
- 4 cups (1 l) boiling water
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large casserole, brown the grain-fed veal chops in olive oil for 2 minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same casserole, brown the onion slices in butter at medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside with the chops.
- Pour a little hot water into the casserole and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen the coagulated sauté juices.
- Arrange half of the potato slices in the bottom of the casserole. Add half the onion slices and the chops in one layer, then cover them with the rest of the onion slices. Season generously with salt and pepper, and toss in the thyme and barley. Arrange the remaining potato slices on top, and add the remaining boiling water.
- Bring to a full boil on top of the stove, then bake in preheated oven for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with a steamed green vegetable.