Type of cut: ground veal
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: chef
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
Cooking method: stir frying
- 454 g (1 lb) ground Quebec Grain-Fed Veal
- 1 Shallot, chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) Veal stock
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) Quinoa
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) Chinese cabbage, finely chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Olive oil
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) Salt
- 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) Pepper
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Cheddar or Swiss cheese, shredded
- Vegetables, hollowed out
Variation: Many types of vegetables can be stuffed including peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, onions, globe squash, pattypan squash, and eggplant. Reserve the flesh that was scooped out of the vegetables to make a cream soup. To minimize costs, stuff blanched cabbage leaves, garnish with tomato sauce and grill under a broiler.
Tip: a mix of cheeses for tacos works well in this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
- In a skillet, cook the ground grain-fed veal and shallots with 60 ml (1/4 cup) of chicken stock. Transfer the cooked veal and stock to a bowl. Cook the quinoa in the remaining chicken stock. In a hot skillet, sauté the cabbage in olive oil. Mix the meat and its juices with the quinoa and sautéed cabbage. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stuff the vegetables. Sprinkle on cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes in the oven, plus 2 minutes under the broiler.
Recipe provided by Jean-Bernard Lambert.