Type of cut: roasts
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: chef
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours 15 minutes
Cooking method: braising
- 1 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal blade roast, about 750 g (1 3/4 lb)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 1 bottle (335 ml) La Maudite beer
- 6 whole shallots peeled
- 3 star anise
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) whole allspice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Root vegetables (carrot, parsnip, turnip)
- Potatoes, cubed
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Heat the butter in a cast-iron casserole, sear the meat and then season. When browned, add the beer to the casserole, covering up to a quarter of the meat for the most flavourful meat. Cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove the casserole, check the meat, add the shallots, spices, salt and pepper, root vegetables and potatoes. Continue baking for about 1 hour, adding water as needed. The meat should be fork tender.
- Place dish in centre of table and serve.
Recipe provided by François Pellerin.