Type of cut: ground veal
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours
Cooking method: simmering
- 700 g (1 1/2 lb) ground Quebec Grain-Fed Veal
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 slices of bread without the crust
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) 2% milk
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh basil, chopped
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 can 796 ml (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- In a bowl, mix the ground grain-fed veal with the onions and garlic.
- Soak the bread in milk and add to the mix.
- Add basil, season with salt and pepper and make 12 meatballs.
- Place the grain-fed veal meatballs on a cookie sheet lightly oiled or covered with parchment paper.
- Put in the oven and brown the meatballs on all sides, turning occasionally.
- Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil and brown the onions and garlic on low for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, sugar and basil, then salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and incorporate the grain-fed veal meatballs.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours while stirring occasionally.
- Serve on pasta of your choice.