Type of cut: roasts
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: average
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 60 minutes
Cooking method: roasting
- 1 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal roast, 1 kg (2 lb)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
Layer of vegetables
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 Laurel leaves
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 250 ml (1 cup) mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 10 ml (2 tsp) butter
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) brandy
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 1 mushroom sauce mix
- 100 g (45 oz) brie
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Baste the grain-fed veal roast with mustard and season with thyme and pepper.
- Place the veal roast on the layer of vegetables in a roasting pan.
- Cook in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 64°C (147°F). The meat will have begun to decrease in size and meat juices will rise to the surface. Turn the roast over half-way through cooking to obtain a uniform colour. Give between 20 and 30 minutes of cooking per inch of thickness according to the individual oven.
- Remove the roast from the oven, cover lightly with aluminium foil, set aside and keep warm for approximately 15 minutes. The heat will spread and the centre of the meat should reach 66°C (150°F).
- Meanwhile, deglaze the roasting pan with water and simmer for a few minutes. Put through a strainer and set the cooking juices aside for the preparation of the sauce.
- In a saucepan, on medium-high, sauté the mushrooms in butter.
- Add the brandy and continue sautéing for several minutes.
- Add the reserved cooking juices, milk and the mushroom sauce mix. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat, add cheese and simmer for 5 minutes, while stirring constantly until the cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve the roast on warm plates and coat with mushroom sauce.
- Serve with turned potatoes, zucchini and tomatoes.