Type of cut: roasts
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: chef
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 40 minutes
Cooking method: braising
- 675 g (1 1/2 lb) Quebec Grain-Fed Veal shoulder roast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 white onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 branch celery, coarsely chopped
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) veal stock
- 1 red pepper, diced into 1/2 cm pieces
- 1/2 english cucumber, diced into 1/2 cm pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) fresh parsley, very finely chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) yoghurt
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) sour cream
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) pesto
- 5 ml (1 tsp) whole grain mustard
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Tie the meat, and season with salt and pepper. In a hot skillet, brown the roast in oil. Set roast aside. In the same skillet, sauté the vegetables. Place the vegetables in the bottom of a roasting pan and place the meat on top of the vegetables. Add the stock, cover and place in oven. Cook for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until the internal meat temperature reaches 53°C (128°F). Cover the roast with aluminium foil and let rest for 15 minutes. Cut thin slices and serve with cold salsa.
- Mix all the salsa ingredients together and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce.
Recipe provided by Denise Cornellier.