Type of cut: roasts
Yield: 6 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours 10 minutes
Cooking method: braising
- 1 shoulder roast of Quebec Grain-Fed Veal, 750 g (1 1/2 lb)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 can 284 ml (10 oz) of low-fat and low-salt beef consommé
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) low-salt soy sauce
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) ketchup
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh ginger, sliced
- 4 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Freshly ground pepper
- Green onions, minced
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Season the roast with salt and pepper.
- In a medium casserole, brown the roast in oil at moderately high heat, turning a few times until it is nicely browned.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Add the beef consommé, soy sauce, ketchup, ginger, star anise, cinnamon and pepper to the casserole. Bring to the boil and cover.
- Cook in the oven for about 2 hours.
- Garnish with green onions.