Type of cut: shanks (osso buco)
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: chef
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 45 minutes
Cooking method: braising
- 1 1/2 kg (3 lb) Quebec Grain-Fed Veal shank
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
- 1/2 red onion, in medium slices
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 red tomatoes, diced
- 500 ml (2 cups) white wine
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) brown stock
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Provencal herbs
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Sear the grain-fed veal shanks on both sides in oil and transfer to deep oven-proof casserole dish.
- In a saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic until lightly browned and add diced tomatoes. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add white wine, brown stock and Provencal herbs and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour sauce over shanks, cover and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Transfer the shanks to a plate and pour sauce into a saucepan. Simmer and reduce to desired consistency.
- Serve shanks on buttered pasta with the sauce.
Recipe provided by Frédéric Brodeur, Chez Parra.