Type of cut: pavés, steaks and filets
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 20 minutes
Marinating: 1 hour
Cooking: 10 minutes
Cooking method: grilling/BBQ
- 4 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal strip loin steaks or pavé steaks, 115 g (4 oz) each
- Salt and ground pepper
Marinade and dressing
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) soya sauce
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) rice vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) grated fresh ginger
- 20 ml (4 tsp) sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) roasted sesame oil
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) crushed peppers
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- Julienne style cut carrots
- Bean sprouts
- Snow peas
- And any other vegetables of your choice (onion, celery, mushrooms, etc.)
- In a bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients. Pour half of the marinade in a dish and marinate the grain-fed veal strip loin steaks for 1 hour in the refrigerator making sure to immerse the meat in the marinade or to turn it over occasionally. Set aside the remaining marinade at room temperature as it will be used as dressing during cooking for the sauté.
- Preheat barbecue on high.
- Sear both sides of the veal strip loin steaks.
- Finish cooking on upper rack or lower heat of the barbecue.
- Ideal cooking is completed when the inner temperature of the meat reaches 64°C (147°F) or when the meat begins to shrink in volume and when juices rise to the surface.
- Remove steaks from heat, cover lightly with aluminium foil and let sit for a few minutes according to the size of the piece of meat. The heat will spread and the centre of the meat should reach 66°C (150°F).
- In a wok or a sauté pan, quickly sauté the vegetables in a dash of oil and add the remaining marinade at the end.
- Slice the grain-fed veal strip loin steaks in strips, add to sauté, mix and serve.