Type of cut: pavés
Yield: 6 servings
Degree of difficulty: chef
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
Cooking method: stir frying
- 6 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal pavé steaks*
- Butter and olive oil, as needed
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 200 g (7 oz) shiitake mushrooms
- 200 g (7 oz) Ste-Marguerite goat cheese
- 50 g (2 oz) baby spinach
* A pavé steak is a thick piece of prime steak.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Brown the pavé steaks quickly in butter and season. Set aside on baking sheet.
- Remove stems on mushrooms and sauté in olive oil. Season and set aside applying pressure to flatten them.
- Cut cheese into pieces the same size as the pavé steak. Place a few spinach leaves, the mushrooms, and a slice of cheese on the veal. Season with pepper and bake in oven for 6 minutes until the cheese has melted over the veal. The veal should be medium rare.
- Transfer the cooking juices to a skillet. Add a little water and thicken with a small knob of butter.
- Arrange the veal on a hot plate and pour the juices over meat. Serve with fresh pasta.
Recipe provided by Jean-Luc Boulay.