Type of cut: steaks and filets
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 25 miutes
Cooking method: grilling/BBQ
- 4 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal strip loin steaks, 115 g (4 oz) each
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) balsamic vinegar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) orange juice
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) veal stock or poultry broth
- 250 ml (1 cup) canned peeled pearl onions
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar and orange juice to a boil and reduce by half.
- Add veal stock and onions and bring to a boil again.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat barbecue on high.
- Sear both sides of the grain-fed veal steaks.
- Finish cooking on upper rack or lower heat of the barbecue.
- Ideal cooking is completed when the inner temperature of the meat reaches 64°C (147°F) or when the meat begins to shrink in volume and when juices rise to the surface.
- Remove steaks from heat, cover lightly with aluminium foil and let sit for a few minutes according to the size of the piece of meat. The heat will spread and the centre of the meat should reach 66°C (150°F).
- Serve the grain-fed veal steaks topped with the balsamic vinegar and onion confit sauce. Serve with carrots, asparagus and fingerling potatoes.