Type of cut: steaks and filets
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
Cooking method: grilling/BBQ
- 700 g (1 1/2 lb) Quebec Grain-Fed Veal filet
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) curcuma
Rum and five peppercorn butter
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) soft butter
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) coarsely ground five peppercorns
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) dark rum
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground thyme
- Salt to taste
- Place all rum butter ingredients in small bowl and mix well.
- When the butter is well mixed, place it on a sheet of waxed paper, shape it in a long tube and place in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Preheat barbecue on high.
- Salt and pepper the grain-fed veal filets and sprinkle with curcuma.
- Sear both sides of the veal filets.
- Finish cooking on upper rack or lower heat of the barbecue.
- Ideal cooking is completed when the inner temperature of the meat reaches 64°C (147°F) or when the meat begins to shrink in volume and when juices rise to the surface.
- Remove filets from heat, cover lightly with aluminium foil and let sit for a few minutes according to the size of the piece of meat. The heat will spread and the centre of the meat should reach 66°C (150°F).
- Slice the filets into medallions and place them on large plates.
- Place two balls of rum and five peppercorn butter on each portion of grain-fed veal filet and serve with beans and a tomato salad.