Type of cut: pavés steaks, steaks and filets
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: average
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
Cooking method: stir frying
- 4 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal striploin pavé steaks
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Butter or oil in sufficient quantity
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Banyuls or Madera wine
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) veal stock
- 5 ml (1 tsp) corn starch diluted in water or white roux
Small dish of pearled onions with currants
- 250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) currants
- 250 ml (1 cup) small pearled onions, canned
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 20 ml (4 tsp) white sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock
- 1 Laurel leaf
- 5 ml (1 tsp) fresh thyme
Small dish preparation
- Cover currants with boiling water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain.
- In a small saucepan, mix onions, butter, sugar, stock and laurel. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add drained currants and thyme and reduce on medium heat until almost all liquid is evaporated. The onions will have a nice golden colour.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat off and set aside.
Cooking the pavé steaks
- Preheat oven to 120°C (250°F) or 175°C (350°F), according to the time you have for cooking.
- Season the grain-fed veal pavé steaks to taste.
- In a frying pan, on high, heat butter or oil.
- When the butter is no longer sizzling or when the oil is beginning to separate, brown the veal pavé steaks on both sides.
- Remove the meat from the frying pan and place on a grill in a roasting pan.
- Finish cooking in the oven until internal temperature reaches 64°C (147°F). At this stage, the slower the cooking, the tenderer the meat will be. The piece of meat will begin to decrease in size and meat juices will appear on the surface.
- Remove the pavé steaks from the oven, cover lightly with aluminium foil and set aside for a few minutes. The heat will spread and the centre of the meat should reach 66°C (150°F).
- Meanwhile, deglaze the frying pan with the Banyuls or Madera wine and let the alcohol evaporate for a few minutes.
- Add veal stock, bring to a boil and thicken with corn starch or white roux.
- Simmer until desired consistency while whisking occasionally.
- Place the grain-fed veal pavé steaks on warm plates, cover with sauce and serve with the onion dish and vegetables of your choice.