Type of cut: steaks and filets
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 35 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
Cooking method: stir frying
- 4 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal strip loin steaks, 150 g (5 oz) each
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 250 ml (1 cup) demi-glace sauce
- 1 tomato, diced
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) basil chiffonnade
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 lemons
- 125 ml (1 cup) water
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) honey
- With a zester or very sharp knife, zest the lemons and boil the zest in 125 ml (1/2 cup) water. Drain and cool quickly in cold water.
- In the same casserole, cook the zest of lemon in the lemon juice and honey on low heat for about 20 minutes or until the mixture becomes syrupy. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, cook the grain-fed veal steaks in the oil and butter on moderately high heat for about 3 minutes on each side, turning only once.
- Remove to a plate. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Pour the lemon sauce and demi-glace sauce into the pan, bring to the boil and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen the coagulated sauté juice.
- Add diced tomato and basil. Check seasoning.
- Pour the sauce onto the grain-fed veal steaks and serve with a green vegetable.