Type of cut: cubes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking method: simmering
- 1.5 kg (3 lb) Quebec Grain-Fed Veal cubes
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- Butter or oil in sufficient quantity
- 1 litre (4 cups) thinned veal stock or chicken broth
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and crushed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sweet pepper (paprika)
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) saffron
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 green peppers cut in pieces
- 4 purple turnips cut in four pieces
- 4 yellow potatoes cut in four pieces
- 4 carrots cut in four pieces
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 4 zucchinis, diced
- In a frying pan, quickly brown the grain-fed veal cubes and the onion in butter or oil and set aside.
- Deglaze the frying pan with the veal stock and set aside the cooking juices.
- In a saucepan, on high, bring to a boil the reserved cooking juices, tomatoes and spices.
- Add the reserved veal cubes, lower heat to maintain a slight bubbling or a very low boil and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 90°C (195°F). It is also possible to perform this step in the oven at 120°C (250°F) or in a slow cooker.
- Thirty minutes before the end of cooking, incorporate the vegetables, one type at a time, according to the cooking time required for each of them.
- After each ingredient is added, bring the cooking liquid to a boil.
- Serve in bowls with toasted bread.