Type of cut: cubes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking method: braising
- 1 kg (2 lb) Quebec Grain-Fed Veal cubes, trimmed
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) butter or olive oil
- Water in sufficient quantity for deglazing
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 4 average sized carrots, peeled and cut in large pieces
- 2 onions, peeled and cut in eight pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic cut in two pieces
- 1 can 798 ml (26 oz) whole tomatoes
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) black olives
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) capers
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Italian herbs mix
- 2 laurel leaves
- Zest of 1/2 lemon slightly blanched in water
- In an oven-proof pan, ideally enameled cast iron, mix all the sauce ingredients.
- On the stovetop, on medium-high, bring the sauce to a boil while stirring regularly.
- Lower heat and simmer.
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- In a frying pan, on high, heat butter or oil.
- When the butter is no longer sizzling or when the oil begins to separate, sauté the grain-fed veal cubes, a small quantity at a time, without over-browning.
- Remove the veal cubes from the frying pan and transfer into the simmering sauce.
- After cooking each batch of cubes, deglaze the frying pan with water and bring to a boil.
- Run the cooking juices through a strainer and add to the sauce.
- Repeat these steps until all the cubes are cooked.
- Season and stir to mix the cubes and the cooking juices into the sauce.
- Cover and cook in the oven for approximately 1 hour 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 90°C (195°F).
- Serve on linguini.