Type of cut: cubes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
Cooking method: simmering
- 750 g (1 1/2 lb) small cubes of Quebec Grain-Fed Veal
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried sage
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground cardamom
- 250 ml (1 cup) unsweetened apple juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) basmati rice
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) currants
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh mint, minced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) peeled almonds, grilled
- In a large casserole, sauté the cubes of grain-fed veal, in oil, in 2 batches, at high heat, until the meat is nicely browned.
- Add the onion and carrots, and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the ground coriander, ground cumin, dried sage and the ground cardamom, and continue cooking for 30 seconds.
- Add the apple juice, salt and pepper, and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the rice, chicken stock and currants, then bring to the boil. Simmer covered for another 15 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Garnish with the grilled almonds and fresh mint.