Type of cut: cubes
Yield: 6 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours
Cooking method: braising
- 1 kg (2 1/4 lb) Quebec Grain-Fed Veal stewing cubes
- Butter or oil in sufficient quantity
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) fresh orange juice
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 5 ml (1 tsp) oregano
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 175oC (350oF).
- In a frying pan, on high, heat butter or oil.
- When the butter is no longer sizzling or when the oil is beginning to separate, fry the grain-fed veal cubes and the onions, a small quantity at a time, without over-browning.
- Remove the veal cubes and onions from the frying pan and keep warm.
- After cooking each batch of cubes, deglaze the frying pan with approximately 60 ml (1/4 cup) of orange juice and bring to a boil.
- Put the cooking juices through a strainer and set aside to make the sauce.
- Repeat these steps until all the cubes are cooked (approximately 4 times).
- In an enameled cast iron pot, place the cubes, the cooking juices and the other sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook in the oven for approximately 1 hour 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 90oC (195oF).
- Serve with couscous and vegetables of your choice.