Type of cut: cubes
Yield: 8 servings
Degree of difficulty: chef
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking method: simmering
- 75 g (1/4 cup) butter
- 1.25 kg (3 lb) cubes of Quebec Grain-Fed Veal
- 2 onions, quartered
- 75 g (1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground black pepper
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground nutmeg
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock (home made or store bought)
- 250 ml (1 cup) 35% whipping cream
- 1 bouquet of fresh dill, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Heat an oven-proof casserole over high heat, melt the butter and sear the cubes of grain-fed veal, until completely browned. Add onions and toss. Add flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg, and stir well. Pour in the chicken stock and mix well. Bring to the boil, while continuing to stir. Cover and bake in oven for 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring half way through. Before serving, add cream and dill.
May be served with various vegetables, including carrots, turnips, beans, snap peas, along with either a mix of white rice and wild rice, or pan-fried potatoes.
Recipe provided by Mélanie Gosselin, chef at Boris Bistro.