Type of cut: steaks and filets, chops
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 25 miutes
Cooking method: grilling/BBQ
- 4 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal T-Bone steaks or loin chops, 300 g (10 oz) each
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) canned pearl onions
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) ketchup
- 250 ml (1 cup) veal stock or poultry broth
- 250 ml (1 cup) canned lima beans
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chili seasoning
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried marjoram
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) crushed peppers
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 60 g (2 oz) precooked bacon finely cut
- In a frying pan, heat oil on medium-low and sauté the pearl onions for 10 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent them from sticking. Add ketchup, veal stock, lima beans, spices, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and let reduce for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Add bacon and keep warm.
- Preheat barbecue on high.
- Sear both sides of the grain-fed veal steaks.
- Finish cooking on upper rack or lower heat of the barbecue.
- Ideal cooking is completed when the inner temperature of the meat reaches 64°C (147°F) or when the meat begins to shrink in volume and when juices rise to the surface.
- Remove steaks from heat, cover lightly with aluminium foil and let sit for a few minutes according to the size of the piece of meat. The heat will spread and the centre of the meat should reach 66°C (150°F).
- Serve the grain-fed veal steaks with the sauce and a simple chayote salad with lemon juice seasoning.