Type of cut: skirt steaks (bavettes)
Yield: 4 servings
Degree of difficulty: easy
Preparation: 15 minutes
Marinating: 4 hours
Cooking: 5 minutes
Cooking method: grilling/BBQ
- 4 Quebec Grain-Fed Veal skirt steaks (bavettes), 115 g (4 oz) each
“Mild” marinade and sauce
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable juice
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) well-packed brown sugar
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) soya sauce
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 10 ml (2 tsp) crushed peppers
- With a sharp knife, make cuts of approximately 3 mm (1/8 in) in the grain-fed veal skirt steaks on both sides of the meat.
- In a bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients. Pour half of the marinade in a dish and marinate the grain-fed veal skirt steaks for at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Set aside the remainder of the marinade for the sauce.
- To prepare the sauce: in a saucepan, bring the remainder of the marinade to a boil and simmer until desired consistency. Keep warm until serving time.
- Preheat barbecue on high.
- Sear the first side of the veal skirt steaks until juices rise to the surface.
- Turn the skirt steaks and cook until juices rise once again to the surface. Ideal cooking is completed when the inner temperature of the meat reaches 64°C (147°F) or when the meat begins to shrink in volume.
- Remove the skirt steaks from heat, cover lightly with aluminium foil and let sit for a few minutes.
- Cut the skirt steaks in slices 5 mm (1/4 in) thick, against the grain of the meat.
- Place slices on plates and cover with sauce. Serve with roasted potato slices and a salad.